Saturday, May 17, 2008

Culture Shock?

I thought that I was going to get hit pretty hard with culture shock when I came home but it hasn't seemed to bother me yet. A friend told me to give it a couple of weeks...she thinks I'll be a mess.
I've been surprised at how easy this transition was. I still miss everyone in Haiti like crazy but I'm not near as emotional as last time.
As I was driving to the Haitian Gathering today it was the first time since leaving that I was emotional. I wasn't sure if I was ready to see all of these Haitian kids running around without having "my" kids there. It made me wish I was seeing everyone in Haiti. The day turned out to be great and I loved spending time with all of the kids and getting to talk with many of the families.
It's amazing to see how much the kids have grown and changed since leaving Haiti. They are all doing amazing.

I moved into my grandparents basement today which is where I'll be living while working and going to school. I'm so tired of moving and I'm glad this will be the last move for awhile. I also went to my cousin's soccer game and froze sitting outside but it was good to see some more of my family.
Tomorrow is church then back to Allegan for my sister's Baccalaureate. Lots of driving but at least it's a little less stressful than driving in Haiti! ;) My friend made a comment about how horrible the roads are here and that we have so many potholes....HA, if she only knew....

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

No doubt! I NEVER complain about the condition of the roads here in the states. I do still get frustrated by summer road repairs/construction but I try not to complain.

It was great to see you Saturday! I too, loved seeing all of the kids! They are amazing!